Yarmouth Port, MA – 7/31/19

Taking a cue from Jim, I have also been keeping a Gratitude Journal. Years ago, I had done something similar, its home was in the Notes application on my phone, but at some point during my turbulent mid-20’s, the practice was forgotten about and gathered dust in the recesses of my mind.

Now in my late-20’s, my inner life is still as turbulent but with different causes. I wonder if life will ever be “less turbulent”. Will there ever be peace? Or is it just that the factors causing the turbulence change? Perhaps that is something I can be grateful for – that I no longer grapple with the peer and familial pressures as much  as I used to. Time and tide change the face of life.

My turmoil has always had its root in Purpose. I never found meaning or purpose while striving for financial success, starting a family, academia, etc. and I am hard-pressed to drift through life without Something that I Will Die For. Thus, the search continued and I pressed forward knowing that in my persisting determination, I would find myself anchored in my Truth one day.

Today, I am getting started on my next article, Why I Quit my 9 to 5, related to Finding Purpose – maybe it will resonate with all you disenchanted philosophers, secret dissidents, happy go lucky rebels, spiritual mystics, Plain Jane’s, and Joe Schmo’s – my neighbors and my confidants! I love you all.

In the meantime, chew on this!
And, to set the context and make your reading a bit more interesting, know that we have been fighting almost daily. Finally, at the beginning of August, we are getting some peace and work done.

7/31/2019

  1. I am grateful for the cool morning air
  2. I am grateful for good coffee
  3. I am grateful for the sound of birds and cars passing in the distance
  4. I am grateful for music

7/30/2019

  1. I am grateful for Carin
  2. I am grateful for my Self
  3. I am grateful for ideas in action
  4. I am grateful for laughter

7/29/2019

  1. I am grateful for silence and smiles
  2. I am grateful for phone calls to reach friends and family in far off places
  3. I am grateful for growth
  4. I am grateful for space
  5. I am grateful for understanding
  6. I am grateful for heat.

7/28/2019

  1. I am grateful for renewal
  2. I am grateful for meditation in mornings
  3. I am grateful for sticky limbs in the mornings, the joints crack and pop when I stretch
  4. I am grateful for new friendships
  5. I am grateful for communication from loved ones
  6. I am grateful for learning
  7. I am grateful for a patient universe

7/27/2019

  1. I am grateful for mountain air and streams and lakes
  2. I am grateful for still mornings
  3. I am grateful for solitude
  4. I am grateful for damp, solid earth. The almost hollow and yet cloutish feeling under my feet.
  5. I am grateful for exploration.

7/25/2019

  1. I am grateful to wake up in a different city than yesterday.
  2. I am grateful for intensity. My pulse runs, quivers, and explodes. It lets me know I have that in me.
  3. I am grateful for sunshine and people watching.
  4. I am grateful for nostalgia and memories
  5. I am grateful for Espresso Cafe, now Pavement Cafe.
  6. I am grateful for hipster baristas. I love them.

7/24/2019

  1. I am grateful for the sound of a blowing fan.
  2. I am grateful for beautiful energies.

7/19/2019

  1. I am grateful for mornings spent in the company of others
  2. I am grateful for laughing in the morning
  3. I am grateful for carrot cake in my belly
  4. I am grateful for cool and dewy mornings
  5. I am grateful for phone calls with friends
  6. I am grateful to be alive
  7. I am grateful to have this time to work on my self
  8. I am grateful to have this time to grow my self so I can be a contribution on this earth
  9. I am grateful to be on this journey and this path

7/17/2019

  1. I am grateful for turkeys that waddle over to say hi
  2. I am grateful when someone makes me coffee
  3. I am grateful for being on the path
  4. I am grateful for pliancy

7/16/2019

  1. I am grateful for the gentleness and understanding from others
  2. I am grateful to be understood
  3. I am grateful to have a strong and healthy body
  4. I am grateful for a vibrant mind and imagination
  5. I am grateful for the people who care about me

7/5/2019

  1. I am grateful for the times that remind me of the existing boundaries to be stretched, pushed, and explored.

6/21/2019

  1. I am grateful for a good, cleansing cry that makes my face all scrunched up and the release of emotion following
  2. I am grateful for a partner who takes the time for me, will stay up late into the night to talk with me, and is my cheerleader
  3. I am grateful for moments of clarity

6/20/2019

  1. I am grateful for a shared breakfast.
  2. I am grateful for noticing the little things.
  3. I am grateful for possibilities.

6/18/2019

  1. I am grateful for moments lived out of my head and in the world.
  2. I am grateful for fear, it tells me where to head

6/13/2019

  1. I am grateful for rain and revelations
  2. I am grateful for electronic music
  3. I am grateful for fresh wind
  4. I am grateful for fresh life

6/10/2019

  1. I am grateful for chirping birds.
  2. I am grateful for the smell and temporary nature of incense.
  3. I am grateful for independence.
  4. I am grateful for choice.
  5. I am grateful for the muddied muck of living.
  6. I am grateful for taking next steps.

6/9/2019

  1. I am grateful for waking up slowly in the mornings
  2. I am grateful for coffee
  3. I am grateful for quiet moments of solitude
  4. I am grateful for sunlit porches
  5. I am grateful for new understandings

6/8/2019

  1. I am grateful for fun crowds and mingling with the vibes.
  2. I am grateful for the sweet soft clattering chatter in a coffee shop
  3. I am grateful for motherly smiles, they bring me to a place.
  4. I am grateful for courteous drivers.
  5. I am grateful for reminders of conscientiousness
  6. I am grateful for pretty textured textiles
  7. I am grateful for awareness practice.
  8. I am grateful for the signs.

6/7/2019

  1. I am grateful for jumping jacks and the feeling of getting sweaty
  2. I am grateful for quiet mornings
  3. I am grateful for accessorizing, these little bangles and jangles that catch my eye just right and make me pin things through my ears and slip bands over my fingers, ring my wrists just right to tell me time or remind me of others
  4. I am grateful for the smell of dampness
  5. I am grateful for Strange Meetings that remind me of the kooky nature of life that criss-crosses our paths in the timeliest of ways
  6. I am grateful for Taking Chances
  7. I am grateful for rambunctious attitudes

6/6/2019

  1. I am grateful for ideas
  2. I am grateful for the soothing feeling of other peoples’ presence
  3. I am grateful for the nostalgic, demure, contemplative, and pensive mood rain brings me
  4. I am grateful for searching after truth and the mystery that eludes me. It drives me wild, and it is this ceaseless nature of the universe that brings tears to my eyes
  5. I am grateful for others seeking Truth. They bridge my understanding to a place of common ground.

6/4/2019

  1. I am grateful for the warm morning sun
  2. I am grateful for weird people
  3. I am grateful for roads
  4. I am grateful for cute glasses
  5. I am grateful for mint tea with lemon
  6. I am grateful for progress
  7. I am grateful for intuition
  8. I am grateful for the smell of sweat
  9. I am grateful for satisfaction of an endeavor

6/3/2019

  1. I am grateful for a nice, hot cup of tea.
  2. I am grateful for digging my hands in dirt.
  3. I am grateful for the little cute bugs that do their thing.
  4. I am grateful for strong healthy legs that take me everywhere imaginable.
  5. I am grateful for ocean waves.
  6. I am grateful for hard conversations.
  7. I am grateful for insight.
  8. I am grateful for hard truths.
  9. I am grateful for pushback to keep me accountable.

6/2/2019

  1. I am grateful for Jim’s essence
  2. I am grateful for the feeling when one gets to one’s destination
  3. I am grateful for people who call to check in
  4. I am grateful for new beginnings
  5. I am grateful for afternoon light
  6. I am grateful for love

Leave a Reply