As an homage to my turning THIRTY next month, I am writing a list of “20 Things I Learned in my 20’s”. It is a deeply personal account of all the lessons I’ve painstakingly learned during this decade.
These lessons come from real affairs of the heart and soul:
- those heart-wrenching guttural shrieks of just everything and nothing
- long moments of painful awkwardness
- perpetual spiritual confusion
- the overwhelming heartache, emotional despair, and dark depression that led me cliffside too many times
- moments of beautiful brilliance and absolute raw passion of youth
- the openness with which I just took everything in
- the pureness & tenacity of spirit that had me throw myself into the game again and again and again
- the romance of being a person alive on this planet.
Why am I doing this?
My reasons for writing this list are twofold.
- It is my offering to the world. Maybe something I write will spark something in you. Maybe it is the sign you are looking for.
- This is my way of processing the decade. Leading up to turning thirty, I minimized its impact. Like a blissful ostrich with its head in the sand, I said, ‘Thirty? Psh.. whatever, it’s just a number; it doesn’t matter to me.” I thought I was too good to freak out over turning thirty and now that it’s almost a month away, I’m nervous. It’s fucking Thirty! What the fuck. When did this happen? And maybe writing this list will answer that question – It happened when all this learning was going on, duh!
Starting from Thursday, December 19, 2019 to January 6, 2020, I will write a lesson every day and add them to the List below. Enjoy and please leave a comment below, I’d love to hear from you!
- Getting Sober “My life worked so why change anything?”
- Personal Responsibility “What kind of world would we live in if everyone took personal responsibility?”
- The Secret to Motivation is Getting Clear On Your Values “What makes the journey worth it?”
- Thinking With The Heart “Free to be.”
- Integrity “I couldn’t trust myself, it wasn’t me steering my own ship.”
- Gratitude “The ultimate Koan”
- Done is Better Than Perfect “Half-Assing like a pro…”
- Paralysis by Analysis “Shake off the crust of stagnancy and take action. Go out and do shit.”
- Go and Travel “Travel sparked a new way of thinking, a shift in perspective, a change in paradigm …”
- Cause the Communication “Relationships are mutual attention and care over time.”
- Judgement “Why can’t I just get it right?”
- Enthusiasm “Jump it the fuck out!”
- Defining My Success “Another layer of the onion…”
- What is Love? “Love as a Power Struggle”
- Fearlessness vs. Recklessness, the Difference? “Do it with presence”
- Acceptance “Once I accept and let be, I let Discovery occur”
- Time Actually Flies By “I feel as if I’ve become lucid in a dream.”
- How to Make a Bangin’ Hollandaise and Drive a Moped in Southeast Asia “Never Stop Learning“
- Cultivate a Daily Practice
- Authenticity “…my experiences out there, intermingling with yours.”